Types of hosting services
A hosting service entails keeping and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server hosted by a website hosting company. There are different sorts of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's review them. Thus, you can determine what you need, based on whether you wish to run a web page, mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by particular firms, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage accounts often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely improper interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the workload between independent bunches of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different website hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some distributors provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share an immense amount of pictures with pals or partners since the service is commonly free. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to administering your e-mail addresses. Some distributors offer web space hosting services for sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to run an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred visitors, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will permit you to operate as many videos as you want without bothering about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to have a site. To a certain degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Malta Hosting, for instance, you can explore web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web space hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for specific web content exclusively.